skip to main content

Call 020 8519 6677

skip to main content
Martin Smith Lettings


Before looking to rent out your property it is important to find out if the property is in an area that requires property licensing, if so a license will need to be obtained before the property can be occupied, the following text provides information in relation to this topic.

"I recommend Martin Smith Letting and Management because I am living in a house for nearly 10 years. I am very happy this is a amazing property in east London."

Mohamed Sameer Ismail

"I have been working with Tony for many years now. He's diligent and goes the extra mile. He has great relationships with tenants. He looks after all my properties and I would thoroughly recommend MSL to anyone."


"Renting and check out process is simple and efficient when compares with other big name real estate company. Response is fast when things need to be fixed. Gavin is exceptional while other staffs are also helpful."

Xin Li

"Started my 3rd year with them and never had a problem. All problems handled professionally and solved quickly."

Shamshad Ansari

"Very professional, understanding and good to do business with. Highly recommended."

Ian Bright

"Good agency. Employees are very helpful and understanding!"

Anish G

"Renting from past 2 years. Really good agency."

Iwona K


What is Selective Licensing?

The Housing Act 2004 allows local authorities to apply for Selective Licensing of privately rented properties in areas which are experiencing low housing demand and/or suffering from anti-social behaviour.

Additional licensing

The Housing act 2004 introduced licensing for Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs). Under the law, there are different types of HMO licensing as outlined below.

Mandatory Licensing

From 1 October 2018, any Landlord who lets a property to five or more people from two or more separate households must be licensed by their local authority.

Additional Licensing

This is when a local authority can impose a licence on other categories of HMOs in its area which are not subject to mandatory licensing. It is important to speak to your agent prior to renting out your property to obtain the best local advice in relation to the licensing schemes for the area your property is located.

Get a Free Quote

 The Property OmbudsmanPrimelocationZooplaArlaSafeagent